Monday, February 21, 2011

2.21.2010

Dear Rachel Dratch,

It wasn't until a day or so ago that it finally hit me that I am that freaky/crazy neighbor folks may make up stories about. We were discussing our eccentricities when I asked Ben, "Do you think people look at us when we're out with the dogs and say, 'There goes that crazy dude!'"

He looked down at my sweatpants tucked into my rainboots as I was about to head out into 70 degree whether and said, "Yes."

I never intended to get real crazy. But I must admit that I wear these rainboots with shorts, too. Like cutoff sweatpant shorts. The kind I just bought after having fantasized about them for a week. I am trying hard to make cutoff sweatpants happen, and in some places they have already caught on. But not where I live. And especially not when accessorized with green rainboots.

When I get ready for work, I keep it pretty good looking. And by good looking, I mean normal. The color combos can sometimes be bright and a little out of control but they work. The same cannot be said for what I wear to the gym or around the house. In addition to the cutoff sweatpants, I have a pair of gold gym shorts that I love to pair with garish colored tees when working out, like green, purple, and light blue. It's the gym--not a fashion show. And if it is a fashion show, my statement is clear: I like it crazy.

As I've become older, my taste has changed. Where I once wore oversized denim and Nike Air Force Ones, I still love jeans but they're snug and with Jack Purcells. I've never been afraid of color. I have become less into bizarro shirt and tie combos. I'd rather keep it simple, with a sort of crazy shirt with a solid tie rather than pairing the shirt with some sort of crazy color or striped tie. But when I'm at home, it is no holds bar. Right now, I have on some giant sweatpants, a cardigan that is also made of sweatshirt material, a t-shirt, and some blue house shoes. And if it gets cold tonight, I will gladly tuck the sweats into my boots when I take the dogs out.

Maybe my style is a little crazy, but to me that's what makes it awesome. I'd rather see somebody look amazing with something just a little off that really takes it somewhere rather than someone who is perfect, h-to-t.

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment