Wednesday, May 27, 2009

5.27.09

Dear Rachel Dratch,

This weekend, I am taking a plane and making a trip. I rode my first airplane at 18--we went to Disney World as a graduation present from high school. I've always been a Disney fan since childhood so it only made sense that I celebrate my "move" into adulthood by spending time on flying elephants and in that giant silver golf ball. And I'm being serious--this was the best gift, ever. Previously, I had been a little afraid of airplanes. Anything that flew in the air scared me because I didn't understand how they stayed up there. Once, on vacation at Universal Studios, we were about to ride Back To the Future The Ride. I was crying my eyes out because the commercial made it seem that the cars were held up by wires. I was afraid that if one of these wires snapped that me and my family would plunge to our death. Instead, the cars were held by anything but, and instead just sat within a domed screen, IMAX style before IMAX existed. Everything about flying in any kind of way left my stomach twisted and my eyes wet when I was young.

Today, I fly with little to no incident. I get magazines to read that I normally don't read, I get the ipod going, and lately Ben and I travel together, which also makes the plane ride a little easier. So I'm traveling blah blah blah. I don't have any complaints with the removal of shoes (please don't look at my toenails!), or that you have to take out your computer if you bring it with you, or that you can't say goodbye to your loved ones at the gate and instead have to do it by the ticket counters. I would say that the thing that irks me the most is the rule about small toiletries.

When I go to the store, I buy the big ones. Big toothpaste, big contact solution, big deodorant. I think to fly with things in a carry-on they need to be three or less ounces or something. Of course, my joints are like four ounces. And I always forget about the tiny bottle rule when I travel. I end up having to buy things when I get wherever I am going, which is okay sometimes. I think the thing that I worry about is that if I get caught trying to smuggle in these mondo-sized bottles of contact solution that I will be pulled over, stripped searched, and added some list of people who may or may not be dangerous to the flying public. Maybe I'll just wear my glasses.

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment