Wednesday, September 23, 2009

9.23.09

Dear Rachel Dratch,

Clearly, I've been gone for a minute. I haven't really been doing much lately, but my creative juices have been a little stagnant it seems. What's weird is that my social calendar has exploded over the past two or three weeks; maybe this is where most of my time has gone? I don't know how or why this has happened because all my friends are in grad school, so shouldn't they be doing work or something? Not that I'm at all complaining. In fact, I love it. When your friends get all bogged down in work, you don't get to see them often. So I am trying to take maximum advantage of their availability.

Another weird thing that has taken place happened last week. For some reason I decided I needed to hear some Toni Braxton. So I had a Toni Braxton music festival for a couple hours. It is striking to hear how her voice has changed since she first diva'd onto the scene. Where she once sang for real for real, over time she has taken to just sort of gutturally groaning. Because she was never one of my main ladies, despite my owning of most of her albums, I don't really care that her voice has changed. I do care about that weird disease or condition she came down with in the recent past that caused her to cancel some of her Las Vegas stint. I mean, I want no one to fall ill. I don't really know what else to say other than the music festival was a little random because, hello, who even knows Toni Braxton's name these days. Apparently I do.

We are in the middle of Fashion Month, with New York wrapping last week and London finishing yesterday. I am considering adding some fashion commentary here because let's face it--it is one of my obsessions. You already know about Whitney and Janet, and probably already know about my obsession with bathrooms. We will see. I also have a mildly-ironic, but mostly not obsession with Gloria Estefan, as in I cannot listen to "Coming Out of the Dark" without crying a little as I think about that bus accident she had in the late 80s that almost killed her. That woman is a survivor. She is no Tina Turner, but Mrs. E has seen it and come into the light. Despite appearances, my feelings toward Gloria are no where near the height of my feelings for these other things. And I talk about her often.

Geez, my biggest obsession right now is probably Kim Zolciak's "Tardy for the Party." I am not even only ironically interested in this song, I am honestly into it. It is a jam, as in the kind of jam that I also sincerely enjoyed like "Mambo #5" and Marky Mark's "Good Vibrations". I realize these songs are all kind of dumb, and maybe even a little weird, but geez-oh-pete, they get thangs moving and swaying and the next thing I know I am late getting somewhere because I had to take a shower because I got too sweaty dancing around the house. Anyway, this song is hott and I think you would be hard pressed to think otherwise. At least it's no "Tightrope".

I guess that's all I have to say. I'll try to write back sooner.

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment