Wednesday, April 1, 2009

4.1.09

Dear Rachel Dratch,

Maybe it's just me, but the 80's are coming back to me now in all kinds of ways. I don't know how much you follow fashion, but 80's themes are everywhere now and will continue to be through this fall and winter. Blah blah. The 80's are rocking hard for me right now in the way of Gloria Estefan. More specifically, I cannot stop listening to "Bad Boys" the jam she did with the Miami Sound Machine. I have both the regular version and the 12" dance version. They are equally getting major play in my headphones and in my car. Maybe it's the memories I have of this song that are associated with "Three Men and a Baby" that make me enjoy this song. I loved that movie. There was always something attractive about Steve Guttenburg. I don't know. That makes me feel gross.

But this song, ohmygod. I'm deejaying my friends' wedding this summer, and I want to play this six minute version so bad. I don't know if they'll be into it. Every time it comes on I tell Ben, "I am playing this at the wedding!" He has complete veto power, though. If not, I would offend everyone with songs like Freak Nasty's "Da Dip" or anything by Master P. I just want the bodies bumping and sweating. But in reality, that is not really what the reception is about, you know? So that's kind of why "Bad Boys" the most awesome song. It's catchy, it's dancy, and the hook, "Boys will be boys, bad boys, bad boys" is so good! I want to mix it into Mases "Feels So Good" the song that sampled Gloria's. I don't think Ben will like that idea.

Between this obsession with Gloria Estefan and my recent forays into bedazzling, I am sure the mid to late 1980s and the early 1990s are back in a big way for me right now. Folks like to hate, but I am okay with all of this. I. Love. Gloria. Estefan. Hard. Core. She knows the way to mi corazon. Adios por ahora.

Jon

1 comment: