Friday, April 24, 2009

4.24.09

Dear Rachel Dratch,

I was driving to work this morning when I remembered the giant sigh of relief I exhaled a while back when I learned of Ike Turner's passing. I don't remember if I was listening to Miss Tina or not, but something just made me feel a lot lighter when I remembered that he was gone. The relief I felt when I learned of his death was a little weird, but I'll explain why.

In 1993 or so, I became obsessed with a number of R&B divas. These included Tina, Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston, and TLC to name a few. A number of them (Turner, Jackson and Houston) were longstanding love affairs that really came to a head around this time. I remember begging my parents to please record on VHS this live concert of Tina's that was airing on PBS. I have no idea how I found out about this concert because what nine year old watches PBS concert specials, but I had to make sure that I had it committed to videotape so that I could enjoy it at a later date. But, I also watched it live. I think there was a babysitter involved. Either way, I was obsessed.

It was also around this time that the Tina biopic was released, featuring Laurence Fishburne and the only actress to play every possible famous black lady, Angela Bassett. Angela Bassett is the only woman who could play Tina Turner, Catherine Jackson and Harriet Tubman while also appearing in two different Terri McMillan novels-that-became-films. Angela Bassett wasn't really the woman she would become yet, but "What's Love Got To Do With It" really made her into the woman who could later play the Stella who lost her groove.

So we remember all the junk that came out about how Ike Turner used to beat the shit out of Tina, right? About two years ago I bought and read her autobiography, "I, Tina". It goes into a bit of the gory detail, but I don't think it includes that scene where he forces cake into her face. Even though she was finally able to get away, become the Private Dancer, and ultimately one of the first American pop singers to adopt a sort of British accent (sorry, Madonna), I lived in fear for her life as long as Ike Turner was still alive.

Maybe there's something about Laurence Fishburne or maybe it was just that Angela Bassett played the fear so well, but Ike Turner was a bad-ass motherfucker. I lived in fear of him, and I was a nine year old. What, with all the drugs and the cake and the hitting, he is like that weird uncle at the reunions that you hope doesn't drink too much Canadian Mist for fear of all the uncomfortable violence that ensues. For me, this is one of my aunts, but that is neither here nor there.

Needless to say, I was scared of Ike Turner. Tina might have escaped, but I wholeheartedly believed that if he had the chance he would go after her with a vengeance and make her pay for her success. Writing this all out makes it quite clear that even as a nine year old my imagination was a little out there. I mean, I didn't know Ike or Tina. I don't know their lives! But the love I had for Tina was long and hard. I swear as a fetus in my mom I heard her sing "What's Love Got To Do With It". I remember "Simply the Best" as a toddler. Oh geez, and I also remember being that nine year old kid who made his parents take him to McDonald's so he could get Tina's greatest hits CD that was a special edition only available at McDonald's. That CD made me fall in love with "Nutbush City Limits"--a song that remains one of my favorites despite Ike's contributions.

The love I have for Tina remains. There was always a little part of me that believed that Ike would come after her. Then he just died. There was no great showdown, no final battle. He just kind of faded. And with his fading out, my fear of his retaliation also subsided. I know Tina has been living somewhere in Europe near Shania Twain for years. I know Ike couldn't afford to fly there because he was too busy continuing to tour with some sort of musical act across the United States. There was no chance a final act would happen. She had already won.

But when I heard he died, I could breathe for her. It was finally over. Ike Turner was gone. Tina was finally free. It's almost like I just wanted it to end dramatically because that would have made for a better ending to "What's Love..." because let's face it, I'm pretty sure it just ends with ol Angie lip-syncing to the title song, doing the Tina shuffle. I mean come the fuck on, Ike forced cake down your throat and all over your face, and you just shuffle!? I guess Buddha helps folks do big things, but she is Tina Turner. From Nutbush. Don't think for a minute she wouldn't shove one of those stilleto heels in his eye had he come back.

Dude, I don't know what brought all this on. But I do love her. I tried to get tickets to a show on her most recent retirement tour, but she wanted like $100 million for each ticket. Yes, Tina, you are the goddess of fierce, but also, bitch please. I just watched my old video of her live from like 1987. She's still got the moves, the voice, and the legs.

I know you love Tina as much, if not more than me. I heard you're going to be on the season finale of "Ugly Betty". That's real good. I hope you and Amanda become best friends. She needs you. Get back to me!

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment